Adam J. Engel
Learning Management Systems
- ABBYY FineReader
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Blackboard Ally
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Articulate Rise 360
Content Management Systems
- WordPress (multisite)
- G Suite for Education
- Microsoft Office
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE and SERVICE
Instructional Technologist, Instructional Technology Group (ITG), Emerson College, July 2017 – present
- Advised faculty on issues related to digital accessibility, Canvas, WordPress, Panopto, and G Suite via a high-volume ticketing system, phone calls, and walk-in support; 1,100+ tickets solved with 99% satisfaction as reported by ITG’s Zendesk
- Spearheaded outreach efforts and workshops for Emerson.build, a pilot project that provides free web domains to faculty, staff, and students
- Implemented the Panopto video-hosting platform by designing workflows, writing documentation, and providing training to faculty; coordinated with Panopto and other third-party vendors
- Enhanced quality and efficiency of ITG’s remediation workflows, ensuring that all media in Emerson’s online courses is accessible
- Worked with designers to manage development and evaluation of 50+ online courses
- Collaborated with the Office of Student Success to pilot a college-wide diversity training module
- Coordinated with the Iwasaki Library to design and host five biannual Course Design Spas–relaxing, catered spaces for new faculty to meet support staff and finish building their courses
Organizer, Academic Affairs Retreat Committee, Emerson College, Sept. 2017 – present
- Worked within a budget to design and host two annual retreats for 90-95 staff members
Assistant Director, Studio for Instructional Technology in English Studies (SITES), UNC-CH,
Intern: Aug 2011-July 2014, Assistant Director: Aug 2014 – Dec 2016
- Supervised and trained staff in web design, filming, and use of audio/video editing software
- Organized weekly workshops on academic and pedagogical technologies for faculty and students
- Provided support and troubleshooting for transition from Blackboard to Sakai LMS
- Managed project of developing a new English department website
Editorial Assistant, William Blake Archive, UNC-CH, Aug 2013 – Dec 2016
- Composed annotations and XML markup for digitized copies of Blake’s illustrations and texts
- Entered and organized data for hundreds of online archival objects
Secretary, Graduate and Professional Student Federation (GPSF), UNC-CH, Aug 2015 – Dec 2016
- Designed and developed the GPSF website to facilitate resource accessibility
- Wrote bi-monthly HTML e-newsletter for over 10,000 students to promote events
COURSES DESIGNED and TAUGHT (UNC-CH)
Literature in a Digital Age, English 137 (Fall 2016)
- Designed a syllabus to explore post-internet intersections of print and digital culture
Introduction to Poetry: Drugs, Sex, and Death, English 125 (Fall 2015)
- Designed a syllabus to survey major poets’ treatments of transitional and countercultural spaces
English Composition and Rhetoric, English 105 (Fall 2012, 13; Spr. 2013–16; Sum. 2016)
- Designed a syllabus with assignments emulating real professional genres, including grant writing
- Organized annual PIT (People, Ideas, Things) Conference for Undergraduate Research
- Managed and edited the affiliated online PIT Journal; mentored undergraduate editors
- “Making Accessibility Attainable: A Toolkit for Engaging Your Campus.” NERCOMP workshop. Southbridge, Massachusetts, Jan. 2020.
- “Adventures in Academic Accessibility: From Curious to Call to Action.” NERCOMP 2019. Providence, Rhode Island, March 2019.
- “A Domain of One’s Own: Take Control of Your Digital Identity” (poster session).
NERCOMP 2019. Providence, Rhode Island, March 2019.
- “Rhetorical Carpentry: Reconstructing Video and Rescuing Critique.” Computers and Writing. Rochester, New York, May 2016.
- “Doing, Not Drifting: Online Tool Building as Research and Composition” (round table). Computers and Writing. Raleigh, North Carolina, May 2012.
Scalar Digital Project
- “’Dangerous Conjectures’: Ophelia’s Ballad Performance.” With D. Baker, T. Alexander, K. Landers, M. Learner, and A. Werlinich. Ballads and Performance, Patricia Fumerton (2018).
- “Talking Heads: Bodiless Voices in Heart of Darkness, ‘The Hollow Men,’ and the First World War.” Conradiana 45.3 (2013).
Instructional Blog Posts
- “Emerson.build: Rule Your Domain.” Instructional Technology Blog. 8 March 2019.
- “Reading and Remixing: Teaching the Self-Generating Poem.” —. 31 Oct. 2017.
- “Teaching Video Composition: The 30-Second Ad.” —. 10 Aug. 2017.
- See all from Instructional Technology Blog.
EDUCATION and AWARDS
PhD, English Literature, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-CH), August 2017
- Dissertation: Writing Ritual: The Function of Liminal Space in Twentieth-Century Literature
BA, English and Philosophy, Ethics focus, The College of New Jersey (TCNJ), May 2010
- Summa cum laude